Thursday, April 23, 2015

On the Road Again

One of the hardest things about being paleo(ish) is eating healthy when I'm not at home. 

This weekend I'm so excited to be going on a weekend service trip through Mizzou Alternative Breaks. We get to volunteer at the Ripley County Fairgrounds preforming maintenance work that would otherwise go undone. I'm so excited for the opportunity, but it presents itself with a teeny tiny obstacle. 

How do you eat healthy, remain flexible, and still have fun? 

My answer- Lower your standards a bit. 

I am by no means intending to go crazy and binge on fast food and processed sugars (mostly because I would feel crappy the whole weekend and be completely intolerable), but I also don't want to be the girl creating problems for other people because of my own preferences. 

So here is what I do. I always buy enough a handful of protein bars before every trip. I prefer Quest bars because they have a 20 grams of protein, 18 grams of fiber, and only 3 net carbs. You can get them individually at Hyvee or in bulk on Amazon. 

I also buy some gluten free bread. I try to avoid gluten free bread for the most part because I cannot be trusted. I think it's fine in moderation, but I have never been one for moderation. I'm kind of an all or nothing kind of gal. But it is really handy when traveling a group because you can rap a jar of natural peanut butter (Smuckers Natural is my favorite) and you have a quick easy snack/meal that is at least better than stopping at a fast food place. 

But here is the most important thing. When in Rome you eat the pasta. I always have to remind myself not to rob myself of an experience because I'm trying to be healthy. Sometime the cookie is worth it, particularly when you are on a once in a lifetime trip. 

Now I doubt Doniphan, Missouri is going to be life changing, but embracing moments are important, and if that means eating a cookie I think I will live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment